BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Turkish official says area near army post in Idlib struck by suspected Syrian government forces

Text size Aa Aa

ANKARA (Reuters) - A Turkish security official said on Saturday that an area near a Turkish military observation post in the northern Syrian region of Idlib had been hit by an artillery strike that may have been launched by Syrian government forces.

The official said Turkey's military believed the strikes had come from within Syria, and added that the army had not yet retaliated against the attacks. There were no reports of casualties, the official said.

Turkey has established a dozen military observation posts around Idlib, which it has reinforced with troops and equipment, as part of an agreement with Russia to stabilise a de-escalation zone in the region.

(Reporting by Orhan Coskun; Writing by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Jan Harvey)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.