BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Turk hurt in Christchurch attacks dies, New Zealand death toll at 51- minister

Turk hurt in Christchurch attacks dies, New Zealand death toll at 51- minister
FILE PHOTO: Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu speaks during a news conference with Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamed Ali Alhakim in Baghdad, Iraq April 28, 2019. REUTERS/Khalid Al-Mousily -
Copyright
KHALID AL-MOUSILY(Reuters)
Text size Aa Aa

ANKARA (Reuters) - A Turkish citizen who was wounded during deadly attacks at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on March 15 has died, Turkey's foreign minister said on Thursday, raising the death toll from the shooting to 51.

"We have unfortunately lost our citizen... who was critically wounded in the heinous attack in Christchurch, New Zealand," Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Twitter.

The man's brother told Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency that the man had been taken to surgery on Thursday, but that he could not be saved.

"He had surgery today, they couldn't stop the bleeding so we lost him. We were happy because we thought it was going well, he had been battling for 50 days," the brother said, according to Anadolu.

Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist from Australia, has been charged with 50 counts of murder for New Zealand's worst peacetime mass shooting. Fifty other people were injured in the attacks, which occurred during Friday prayers.

(The story corrects story to remove name of individual whose identity is subject to a New Zealand court suppression order)

(Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Gareth Jones)

euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.