Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that Israel’s offensive on the al-Aqsa Mosque may pave the way for a “new intifada” leading to troubles that might spread across the world and not be limited to the Middle East.
Last week, Israel closed the al-Aqsa compound amid increasing tensions between Israelis and Palestinians.
Access is now allowed but males under 50 are banned.
“This barbaric, hostile action of Israel is unforgivable and regarding these events we cannot be silent,” said Erdogan. “We have to take all necessary steps at an international level.”
Security was tight in Jerusalem on Thursday, following clashes at the Al Aqsa compound the previous day and a deadly vehicle attack on pedestrians.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was making every effort to restore calm and security.