Video footage has been released of the moment a gunman stormed the Canadian parliament in Ottawa.
Thirty-two year old Michael Joseph Zehaf-Bibeau killed a soldier at the National War Memorial before racing through the parliament building where he was shot dead.
Officials say the shooting is not related to an incident on Monday when a Canadian soldier was killed by in Montreal
“Zehav-Bibeau acted alone and he is the same person who perpetrated the attacks both at the national war memorial and on Parliament Hill. The investigation is ongoing and will rapidly determine if zehab-bibeau received any support in the plannig of his attack. We have no information linking the attacks this week in Saint Jaques sur Richelieu and Ottawa,” said RMCP Comissioner Bob Paulson.
Paulson also confirmed that Zehav-Bibeau was not one of the 90 high-risk travelers that the RCMP was currently investigating.
Zehav-Bibeau’s mother has apologised for her son’s apparent actions. In a statement Susan Bibeau said “No words can express the sadness we are feeling at this time,” adding “We send our deepest condolences.”
Zehaf-Bibeau had been living at a homeless shelter in the week before the attack.