Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Hamas announces new Gaza truce after Israel restarts military assault amid rocket fire

Hamas announces new Gaza truce after Israel restarts military assault amid rocket fire
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

Despite initially rejecting an earlier ceasefire offer Hamas now says it has agreed a new 24-hour truce with Israel in Gaza.

The latest development followed the Israeli army’s renewed military offensive on the coastal enclave earlier on Sunday. That restarted after Hamas militants continued to fire rockets into central and southern Israel.

A Hamas spokesman said the latest move was in response to UN intervention in light of the humanitarian situation of the Gazan people and the Muslim holiday of Eid.

Israel has not yet responded to Hamas’ declaration.