Cory Monteith died of a seemingly accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, according to Canadian authorities.
The 31-year-old, who was found dead on Saturday, had a lead role in the musical-comedy series ‘Glee’ and was publicly known to struggle with substance abuse issues. In April 2013, Monteith voluntarily completed treatment at a rehab facility and had also been treated in a facility when he was 19.
The British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed cause of death in a press release on Tuesday, stating that the actor, who was found in a Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.”
Monteith’s death does not seem to have been deliberate: “There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” confirmed spokesperson for the Coroners Service, Barb McLintock.
Police in Vancouver believe the actor returned to the hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning and was alone when he died: “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” spokesman Brian Montague said.
He went on to add that the Vancouver Police Department’s conclusion was backed up by the Coroners Service report, but would not disclose details of the evidence found in the star’s hotel room.
Lea Michele, Monteith’s on and off-screen girlfriend, is said to be with his family. Representatives for Michele issued a statement on her behalf on Tuesday. It read in part: “Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
The fifth season of ‘Glee’, which has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards, is due to premiere on US broadcaster Fox on September 19. Monteith’s character Finn Hudson, was intrinsic to promoting the ongoing theme of tolerance in the series. His death is expected to deal a major blow to the show.