Twin car bombs have rocked a Turkish town bordering Syria, killing at least 40 and wounding 100 others. The Turkish authorities have accused the government in Damascus of being behind the blasts.
The explosions ripped through crowded streets in Reyhanli, home to thousands of Syrian refugees earlier on Saturday.
Protests erupted in the town as Turkish residents accused their Syrian neighbours of exporting the conflict.
One relative of the victims spoke of the tragedy which struck his family.
“Two of my cousins died, and one is heavily wounded and now taken under care. We are waiting here to collect our dead cousins.”
Messages of condolence have poured in from around the globe, and offers of help were extended to identify those responsible.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan noted that the town is very close to the Syrian border. He said that those who committed this act think that they can achieve their goals through provocation.
NATO member Turkey supports the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad, and limited acts of violence have occurred in border regions before.
However, these latest attacks mark an escalation in violence being the deadliest since the conflict began two years ago.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said it was no coincidence that the bombings came as diplomatic efforts intensify to bring the conflict in Syria to an end.