More details are likely to emerge today of what drove self-confessed killer Anders Behring Breivik to murder dozens in Norway.
Breivik is due in court in Oslo later on Monday. He posted a video on the internet hours before last Friday’s atrocities. In it, among other things, Breivik claims the crusading order of the Knights Templar has reformed as an armed movement for indigenous rights.
The 32-year-old’s lawyer says his client has admitted both attacks, describing them as “gruesome but necessary”.
“My client will appear in court,” he said on Norwegian television, “and has made it clear he will explain his motives. We have never dealt with a case like this in Europe before. It is legally unprecedented. It is unique in terms of cruelty.”
Breivik also posted a rambling manifesto on the internet, the timeline of which suggests he had been planning Friday’s bomb blast and shooting spree for some time.
The police have not speculated about motives for the attacks but they do seem to have a connection with the governing Labour Party. Breivik is also alleged to have links with right-wing extremists.