NATO has acknowledged responsibility for an air strike that killed civilians in Tripoli on Sunday.
In a statement the alliance said “…a military missile site was the intended target of air strikes in Tripoli last night.”
“However, it appears that one weapon did not strike the intended target and that there may have been a weapons system failure which may have caused a number of civilian casualties.”
The Libyan government said that nine civilians, including two children, were killed in the air strike which hit a building in a residential neighbourhood early Sunday morning.
Western journalists in Tripoli were taken by Gaddafi officials to a destroyed building where they saw a body being removed from the rubble. Later, in a hospital, reporters were shown several bodies including those of two young children – a boy and a girl.
Libya has previously claimed civilian casualties from NATO attacks and has said that over 850 people have been killed but has provided little concrete evidence.