In Prague eight homeless people died when fire broke out at an abandoned building in the city centre near the main bus station.
The alarm was raised shortly after midnight local time.
By the time firefighters arrived just a few minutes later the blaze had already taken hold in the cavernous two-storey building that used to belong to Czech Railways.
The company had left the premises some time ago and mains electricity had been cut off.
Security guards say those taking shelter inside used candles for light in their makeshift home.
Two people were rescued from the flames and were treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.