Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has visited survivors in hospital of Monday’s twin bombings as the country begins a week of mourning for the dead.
The country’s leader called those behind the attacks, “cowardly for targeting ordinary people who were just enjoying themselves”.
At least 74 people died and many more were injured as two explosions ripped through a restaurant and a rugby club where football fans had been watching the world cup final.
The Somalian militant group al Shabab which has links to al Qaeda has said they were responsible.
Sheikh Ali Mohamud Rage, al Shabab spokesman said: “We warned Uganda not to deploy troops to Somalia, they ignored us. We warned them to stop massacring our people, they ignored that. The explosions…..were only a minor message…. We will target them everywhere if Uganda doesn’t withdraw from our land,” he said.
Al Shabab militants are known to be trained by veterans of the conflict in Iraq. They have never before operated outside Somalia but have threatened both Uganda and Burundi for sending peacekeeping troops to their unstable country.