At least 100 people have been killed after fire ripped through a row of tightly-packed buildings in the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka.
Nearly 150 others were injured as flames engulfed the residential and commercial properties in one of the city’s most densely-populated areas.
Hundreds of people were trapped by the blaze which began when an electrical transformer exploded. It spread quickly, fuelled by highly flammable chemicals on sale in ground floor shops.
A wedding party was on the roof of one buliding, explaining, in part, the high number of casualties.
With a massive strain on hospital facilities, off-duty medical staff have been called in to help.