At least 10 people have died in a fire at a nightclub in Moscow. Russia’s emergencies ministry says carbon monoxide poisoning claimed most of the victims’ lives.
The blaze started during a “fire show” at the bar in which flaming drinks were being prepared, according to some witnesses. The barman’s clothes are said to have caught fire, setting light to a five-litre canister of spirits and then the stage.
As emergency teams search through the debris, it is feared the death toll could rise.
A Bulgarian national was reportedly among those killed at the “911” which describes itself as “an erotic club.” Four people were injured. Dozens more fled to safetly.
Nearly 200 people have died in a host of accidents in Russia in recent days, including a mining disaster, a fire at an old people’s home and a plane crash.
The fire at the home killed over 60 people on Tuesday. At least one emergency exit was locked – prompting renewed concerns about the nation’s fire safety standards.