Acting Cuban President Raul Castro has given his first interview since taking over from ailing brother Fidel last month.
Raul Castro said his brother was making satisfactory, gradual recovery. He also said that he had mobilised Cuba’s armed forces to protect the country against a possible US invasion in the wake of his brother’s illness.
“I think it’s good to have given an interview” said one man, “because Raul hadn’t spoken. People always like to hear and see and be told.”
“I always had hope” said another Havana resident. “The revolution doesn’t depend on Raul appearing, because the revolution belongs to everybody and everybody makes it happen. Raul directs it, Fidel directs it, the leaders direct it, but the lack of presence doesn’t worry me.”
Fidel Castro, who turned 80 last Sunday, has undergone surgery for intestinal bleeding. His 75 year old brother said he’d not given an interview earlier becaue it was his nature to be discreet.