A bomber and two women have attacked tourists in separate incidents in Cairo, killing at least two people.
The first, in a square near the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo, is being described as a suicide attack. It is believed that an Egyptian man found dead had jumped off a bridge carrying an explosives device. The bombing reportedly injured three Egyptians, an Israeli couple, one Italian woman and a Swedish man. Egypt’s government says the bomber was Yousri Yassin, a fugitive member of the group which planned a bombing on April 7 which killed three tourists in a Cairo bazaar. That bombing was the most serious in Egypt since attacks in Red Sea resorts killed 34 people last year. Shortly after the blast near the Egyptian Museum, two veiled woman opened fire on, and missed, a tourist bus on a main road through southern Cairo. In disputed circumstances at least one of the women was shot dead. Eye witnesses said security forces fired on the women. Officials say one of the women was probably the wife of Saturday’s suicide bomber.