Iran’s capital Tehran has been rocked by a twin assault at the heart of the Islamic Republic.
Suicide bombers and gunmen attacked Iran’s parliament and the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini in Tehran on Wednesday morning, killing at least a dozen people.
He is what we know so far:
- At least 12 people were killed
- Islamic State claimed responsibility
- However, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard say Saudi Arabia was behind the attack
- The men who raided parliament were dressed in women’s clothing
How did events unfold?
- Attackers armed with guns stormed the parliament building through the main entrance in central Tehran.
- One of them detonated a suicide vest inside the parliament building.
- Soon after, another bomber detonated a suicide vest near the shrine of the Republic’s revered founder, Ayatollah Khomeini, a few kilometres south of the city.
- A second attacker was shot dead.