BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Salah Abdeslam trial: hearing resumes in Brussels without him

Now Reading:

Salah Abdeslam trial: hearing resumes in Brussels without him

Salah Abdeslam trial: hearing resumes in Brussels without him
Text size Aa Aa

The trial in Belgium of the main surviving suspect of the November 2015 attacks in Paris, has resumed without him.

Salah Abdeslam is charged with the attempted murder of police in a shoot-out with officers in Brussels three days before he was arrested in March 2016.

The trial continues under close surveillance. Exceptional security measures have been put in place at the Brussels courthouse. Civil parties say they are relieved that the trial is going according to plan.

Abdeslam refused to answer questions on the first day of the trial on Monday. He told the tribunal he would not allow the court to "satisfy public opinion." .

His lawyer, Sven Mary, told the court that he would to continue to represent him,

Mary gave no indication of the line he intends to take in defence of the client whom he has previously criticised for refusing to talk to investigators.

Abdeslam’s co-defendant Sofiane Ayari, a 24-year-old Tunisian, is appearing alone in the dock for the second and possibly final day of the trial.