BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Palace striker Benteke hopeful of November return

Now Reading:

Palace striker Benteke hopeful of November return

Text size Aa Aa

(Reuters) – Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke is recovering well from a knee ligament injury and is confident of returning to first-team action for the Premier League club in November, the Belgium international has said. Benteke, Palace’s top scorer last season, sustained the injury in last month’s defeat to league leaders Manchester City and has missed the Eagles’ last two games, including their first win of the campaign against champions Chelsea. “The rehab is going really well and I’m feeling really happy with the way that my ligament is healing, so hopefully I can be back in a few weeks,” Benteke told the club’s website(www.cpfc.co.uk). The 26-year-old also wants to impress Belgium manager Roberto Martinez with a goal-scoring run at Palace to boost his chances of being called up for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. “Playing in the World Cup is a big motivation but it’s only going to improve my performances at the club. I really want to help the team and do well this year to make sure I’m in the squad,” he added. Palace are bottom of the table and host ninth-placed Newcastle United on Saturday.

(Reporting by Aditi Prakash in Bengaluru; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)
euronews provides breaking news articles from reuters as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes. Articles appear on euronews.com for a limited time.