This content is not available in your region

Two Barcelona attack suspects charged with murder

Access to the comments Comments
By Euronews
Two Barcelona attack suspects charged with murder

<p>A Spanish judge has charged two men in connection with the attack in central Barcelona last week, a third has been held for further questioning while a fourth has been released on bail.</p> <p>It followed a day-long hearing in Madrid during which only one of the four suspects admitted a role in the plot. The other three all denied involvement.</p> <p>Mohammed Houli Chemlal and Driss Oukabir, have been officially charged with membership of a terrorist organisation and with murder.</p> <p>The investigation is continuing with police having searched a house and a cybercafe in two different northeastern Spanish towns.</p> <p>Earlier one suspect said they had been planning a <a href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/barcelona-terror-attack-suspects-latest-imam-dead-blame-larger-atrocity-threat-a7906781.html">bigger attack</a> possibly including Barcelona’s famous Sagrada Famillia church.</p> <p>Police are also said to be investigating a site just south of where Younes Abouyaaqoub, whom they have identified as the driver of the van in the Las Ramblas attack, was shot dead on Monday.</p> <p>A man believed o have spent some time in Abouyaaqoub’s flat is also said to have been arrested in Casablanca.</p> <p>Self-styled Islamic State have claimed responsibility for the van attack and a separate deadly assault, hours later, in the coastal resort of Cambrils, south of Barcelona. In total 15 people were killed and more then 100 injured in both terror incidents. </p> <p>In little more than a year, Islamist militants have used vehicles as weapons to kill nearly 130 people in France, Germany, Britain, Sweden and now Spain.</p>