Former FBI chief James Comey today gave much-anticipated testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committee over his sacking by Donald Trump and alleged Russian interference in the US presidential election last year.
What you need to know
- Trump was “trying to get something” in exchange for letting him stay in his job.
- Trump repeatedly praised Comey’s work before his sacking.
- He was stunned by Trump’s request to drop investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn.
- It was significant Trump had made request when they were alone in Oval Office.
- He was fired because of FBI’s Russia probe but Trump didn’t ask him to drop it.
- Russia meddled in US election with “sophistication and overwhelming technical effort”.
- Despite meddling, no votes were altered.
- Trump administration put out lies about him (Comey) after his firing.
- He began taking notes during meetings with Trump amid fears he would lie.
- Trump not under investigation at FBI during Comey’s time.
Comey on what he thought was behind Trump’s request for loyalty during a one-on-one dinner:
Comey on Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential elections:
Comey on whether his job depended on his loyalty to Trump:
Comey on why he began taking notes in meetings with Trump: