BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

French presidential election: Fillon refuses to pull out of race, despite being summoned by a judge

BREAKING NEWS

France

French presidential election: Fillon refuses to pull out of race, despite being summoned by a judge

Hot Topic Learn more about French presidential election 2017



It is proving to be an eventful day for French presidential candidate Francois Fillon.

Making a hastily-arranged statement at midday local time, Fillon surprised commentators by firmly reitering his commitment to run for President.

62-year-old Fillon says he will be questioned on the 15th of March in connection with an inquiry into alleged misuse of public funds over claims members of his family were given bogus jobs, paid for with taxpayers’ money.

Fillon has denied any wrongdoing.

He cancelled a high-profile campaign visit to France’s national agricultural show on Wednesday morning, without giving any explanation, leading to feverish speculation.

The Reuters news agency is reporting his wife Penelope is being questioned in connection with the allegations.

A judicial source has reportedly denied the report.

There has been no comment so far from her lawyers.



What did Fillon say?



Making a hastily-arranged statement from his party headquarters in Paris at midday, Fillon said:


  • That he would not give up his presidential campaign
  • That he will be questioned on March 15 in connection with the inquiry
  • He denied any wrongdoing
  • That only the French people can decide the future of the country, not the media or political community
  • That he believes strongly in his vision for France


Developments on Wednesday



  • Fillon cancels visit to high-profile agricultural show
  • Meets with senior members of his political party
  • Reuters quotes French media reports that Penelope Fillon is being questioned in connection with the inquiry
  • Presidential primary rival Alain Juppe widely reported to be with Fillon as he makes a statement at midday. This turned out to be not the case.


In tweets



Francois Fillon’s campaign team seem to be unaware that his visit to the Agricultural Show in Paris was being rescheduled.


Political figures arrive at Fillon’s campaign headquarters ahead of his midday statement.

French newspaper Le Monde claims sources say Fillon himself is to be questioned in connection with the bogus jobs inquiry.

The room is packed with journalists waiting for Fillon to make his statement.



Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Yemen

UN warns of looming famine in Yemen