The underwater search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been suspended, officials have announced.
Malaysia, Australia and China – the countries coordinating the search efforts – said the decision had not been taken lightly.
Australia, Malaysia and China have called off an underwater search for missing flight MH370 after nearly three years and no results pic.twitter.com/34uDIDGvrx— AFP news agency (@AFP) January 17, 2017
The Boeing 777 disappeared with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014. Seven pieces of debris have so far been identified as either definitely or highly likely to be from the missing jet.
Search officials confirmed debris from the plane had not been located within the designated 120,000 square-kilometre area in the southern Indian Ocean.
Families of the passengers and crew have called the suspension of the search ‘irresponsible’ and have urged investigators to reconsider the decision.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.