Nigeria’s army has driven Boko Haram militants from their last camp in the northeastern Sambisa forest the group’s, the president Muhammadu Buhari has said in a statement.
The military has launched a large-scale offensive against the jihadist group in recent weeks.
HQNigerianArmy</a> captured 'Camp Zero', Boko Haram's Sambisa Forest base. My message to our gallant troops—<a href="https://t.co/ds9uCZY7qD">https://t.co/ds9uCZY7qD</a> <a href="https://t.co/oxcsjD13Aa">pic.twitter.com/oxcsjD13Aa</a></p>— Muhammadu Buhari (MBuhari) December 24, 2016
Buhari said in a statement that the head of the army informed him on Friday afternoon that the last major Boko Haram camp in the Sambisa forest had been captured.
“The terrorists are on the run, they have no place to hide”, Buhari’s statement said.
The Sambisa forest was Boko Haram’s former stronghold.
The jihadist group is believed to have killed 15,000 people and displaced more than two million during a seven-year insurgency in northeastern Nigeria.