UPDATE: German police are looking for a Tunisian man after finding identity documents in the driver’s seat of the truck which ploughed into a Christmas market on Monday evening, local media reported.
Der Spiegel magazine said the document was in the name of Anis A, born in Tataouine in 1992. The man is also believed to use false names.
SPIEGEL ONLINE (@SPIEGEL_EIL) December 21, 2016
German police launched a manhunt after releasing their only suspect in the Berlin truck attack.
The authorities said there was insufficient evidence to hold him.
The Chief Federal Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement it had been unable to prove that the suspect had been in the cabin of the truck at the time of the attack and said he had denied any involvement.
The Islamist militant group ISIL has now said one of its fighters drove the lorry into the crowded Christmas market, but as the attacker has not been identified there is no way of substantiating the claim.
German Interior Minister Thomas De Maiziere said several lines of investigation were being followed:
“There are many indications that this person who was released is not a suspect, not involved in the attack, and that means that from the very beginning, Berlin police, and the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA) not only followed this one lead, but followed others as well, from the very start, therefore it cannot be ruled out that the perpetrator may still be on the run.”
WELT (@welt) December 20, 2016
Police have now removed the lorry from the site for forensic examination. The original driver, a Polish national, was found dead on the passenger seat, reportedly with gunshot and stab wounds. No gun was recovered.
The truck smashed into wooden huts serving mulled wine and sausages on Monday evening at the foot of the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church, one of west Berlin’s most famous landmarks. Twelve people were killed and nearly 50 were injured, 30 severely.