Dozens of migrants are receiving treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning in Croatia, after being found in a packed van.
Forty-two people have been hospitalised, among them two boys aged 10 and 12, after police pulled over a van carrying 67 migrants over the weekend.
The health minister said, “They were in a serious condition, dehydrated and apparently had not eaten for five days.” Others were unconscious or vomiting.
“We are talking about people who have illegally entered Croatia, and after they have been humanely taken care of, they will be returned to the country from where they had come,” said Vlaho Orepic, Minister of the Interior.
Police arrested two Bulgarian citizens suspected of human trafficking after the van, with British number plates, was stopped on the motorway between the Serbian and Slovenian borders on Saturday.
After the Balkan route was shut down in March, some migrants have turned to smugglers in order to cross borders.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.