Bomb blasts in two cities in southeast Turkey killed nine people and wounded 38 on Wednesday. Security sources are blaming the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) for the coordinated attacks on police targets.
Since the PKK abandoned its ceasefire last year, Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish southeast has seen its worst violence in two decades.
Three civilians were killed by roadside explosives detonated by remote control in the town of Kiziltepe in the Mardin province, near the Syrian border. The attack targeted a bus carrying police officers, the sources said.
Earlier in the day, five soldiers were killed and nine wounded when militants opened fire with rockets and long-range weapons from across the border in northern Iraq.
URGENT: Bomb detonates near police vehicle in southeast #Turkey; Multiple people injured
michaelh992</a> <a href="https://t.co/KbL4Mj4b8L">pic.twitter.com/KbL4Mj4b8L</a></p>— Breaking911 (Breaking911) August 10, 2016
In the region’s largest city, Diyarbakir, sources say five civilians were killed in a car bomb attack apparently targeting police, the sources said.
Twelve people were wounded in that attack, including five police officers.
The PKK, designated a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the European Union and the United States, took up arms against the Turkish state in 1984. Over 40,000 people have died in the violence, the majority of them Kurds.