BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

1,700 rescued from the Med in two days

world news

1,700 rescued from the Med in two days

Advertisement

The Italian coastguard says an estimated 1,700 migrants have been rescued from the Mediterranean over the last two days from Wednesday.

Vessels belonging to non-governmental organisations, national navies and passing cargo ships have been rescuing migrants over the past two years.

The majority are in un-seaworthy smuggling boats launched from Libya on what has become known as the “Central Mediterranean route”.

What happened on Thursday?

  • 1,128 survivors plucked from the Mediterranean south of Sicily
  • 17 bodies recovered

    What happened on Wednesday?

  • 22 bodies (21 women and one man) recovered from second boat (Doctors Without Borders)
  • 209 rescued (DWB)

    Fact Check

The latest figures (published on 20 July) show 253, 540 people have come to Europe so far in 2016.

  • 242,179 by sea
  • 9,519 by land
  • 2,977 dead or missing

(Info: the International Organisation for Migration)

Italy is the main country of first arrival. In June 2016, migrants came to the country mainly from Nigeria, Eritrea, Sudan, Guinea and Ivory Coast.

Arrivals for the same period in Greece, the second country of arrival, are from Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq and Algeria.

Since the start of 2016, people have arrived in Bulgaria from Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.

Hungary and Serbia have registered small flows of migrants.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article