Tuesday 22nd March, 2016 – The unthinkable happens – once again
Brussels becomes the second western European capital in less than four months to experience a deadly terrorist attack
- 0759 – Bombs explode at check-in desks 11 and two at Brussels International Airport departures hall
- 0915 – At least one suicide bomber detonates a device on a train in a tunnel near Maelbeek metro station in the centre of Brussels.
- At least 31 people die and more than 200 are injured.
- The Belgian capital plunges into lockdown. Airport, rail links, main railway stations and metro system are all shut down
- Thousands stranded at airport and across the city
- ISIL claims it was behind the attacks
- CCTV footage released of 3 airport suspects
- Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate and other world monuments light up in red, gold and black of Belgian flag.
In their own words