BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Ivory Coast attacks: fuller picture emerges after bloodbath


Ivory Coast

Ivory Coast attacks: fuller picture emerges after bloodbath

ALL VIEWS

Tap to find out
  • At least 15 dead
  • 33 injured
  • Holidaymakers enjoying quiet Sunday at beach resort were targeted

The dead and injured

At least 15 civilians are now known to have been killed in an attack on a beach resort in Ivory Coast at the weekend.

The German director of the Abidjan branch of the Goethe Institute was among them.

51-year-old Henrike Grohs had been in the country since 2013.

Speaking after a cabinet meeting, Interior Minister Hamed Bakayoko said three members of the Ivorian special forces were also killed during the attack at the seafront town of Grand Bassam.

33 people were wounded.

The three Islamist militants who stormed the resort were also killed.

What happened?

Eyewitnesses say they heard gunshots.

“They opened fire as soon as they got here,” said one, “they shot a man and his girlfriend and even the old lady selling water over there.”

“They were shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’.”

The three attackers were forcing holidaymakers to shout “Allah Akbar” or “God is Great”.

Those who refused were shot dead, it is claimed.

In tweets

Who was behind it?

Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was the first of its kind in the Ivory Coast.

Officials have been preparing for an attack in the wake of similar assaults by AQIM in
neighbouring Burkina Faso and Mali.

ALL VIEWS

Tap to find out

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Merkel comes under pressure to change her migrant policy