At least 86 people have died in twin blasts in Ankara, which Turkish officials claim are likely to have been suicide bombings.
In the deadliest attack of its kind in modern Turkey’s history, the explosions ripped through a rally of pro-Kurdish and leftist activists in the centre of the country’s capital.
Health Minister, Mehmet Muezzinoglu, announced 186 people had been injured, 28 of whom are said to be in intensive care.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has announced the government has “substantial intelligence that the attack was undertaken by two suicide bombers.”
He has declared three days of national mourning.
The blasts occurred in quick succession near the exit of Ankara’s main train station, at 10.04 am local time.
Turkish government officials say they are treating the incident as a terrorist attack
Davutoglu quickly arranged a meeting with heads of Turkey’s police and intelligence agencies. He has been roundly criticised by the opposition in the aftermath of the blasts.
Leader of the opposition CHP Party Kemal Kilicdaroglu told the press:
“I don’t want to blame anyone in particular today. But, of course, we have to underline something: is this how a country is being ruled? We can live together peacefully in this country.”
The pro-Kurdish HDP has blamed the ruling AK Party for the attack, with leader Selahattin Demirtaş reportedly labelling the AKP “murderers.” Both parties have cancelled forthcoming rallies for the November 1 general election.