Now Reading:

Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims

world news

Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims



Tap to find out

Thousands of mourners have attended a funeral ceremony in Tehran for Iranian pilgrims killed in the Hajj disaster in Saudi Arabia.

They chanted “death to Al-Saud,” a reference to the Saudi royal family – blaming the Kingdom’s government for the deadly stampede.

“It’s been 10 whole days that this incident has crippled my life. I myself haven’t lost anybody, but I am thinking about the disaster-stricken families. God damn oppressors!” said one mourner.

Another added: “I have come to share my sympathy with the mourning families. They surely had young children. I have come to give them my condolences.”

The bodies of more than 100 pilgrims arrived at Tehran airport on Saturday, where they were met by President Hassan Rouhani and senior officials.

Iran says 465 of its pilgrims died in last week’s stampede and crush.

The disaster has fed into the bitter regional rivalry between Sunni Saudi Arabia and Shiite Iran.

Speaking from Tehran, euronews reporter Javad Montazeri said: “The main demand from those attending the funeral ceremony was for a committee of investigation to be set up, for there to be follow-up action and a trial.”


Tap to find out

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article