Sinai Province of Islamic State in Egypt claims to have killed Croatian hostage Tomislav Salopek (31) by publishing a photo which purports to show his decapitated body on jihadist Twitter accounts.
Croatian Prime Minister Milanovic has reacted saying that they cannot be 100 percent certain of the hostage’s death but said he feared the worst.
Milanović: Ne možemo sa 100% sigurnošću potvrditi da ono što smo vidjeli je istina. Molim ljude da tim prizorima ne izlažu djecu.— Vlada R. Hrvatske (@VladaRH) August 12, 2015
An employee of a French company, Salopek was kidnapped on July 22 on a road 22km south-west of Cairo. On Friday the group threatened to kill the hostage within 48 hours if the Egyptian government failed to free Muslim women imprisoned in Egypt.
There has been no independent verification of the photo, which included a caption reading:
“killing of the Croatian hostage, due to his country’s participation in the war against Islamic State, after the deadline expired …”
Last week a video posted online purportedly from Sinai Province showed a man identifying himself as Salopek who said that he would be killed if Muslim women weren’t released from Egyptian jails.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.