Now Reading:

8 suspects in custody after Tunisia beach massacre

world news

8 suspects in custody after Tunisia beach massacre


Eight people suspected of being involved in a deadly attack on a beach resort in Tunisia last week remain in custody.

The seven men and one woman are suspected of having direct links to the attack in which 38 foreign tourists were killed.

Tunisian government minister Kamel Jendoubi said four other suspects detained earlier as part of a police investigation have been released.

“Security units managed to uncover and destroy the network that was behind this attack,” Jendoubi told reporters.

Meanwhile there is just a handful of tourists left on Tunisia’s beaches after thousands fled in the wake of Friday’s attack.

The country’s prime minister deployed over 1,000 armed police to tourist hot spots to protect any remaining holiday makers and the country’s lucrative tourist industry.

The government has warned of losses the equivalent of around 450 million euros as tour companies cancel booked trips.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article