Nigeria’s president has pledged to track down those responsible for Friday’s attack on a mosque in the northern city of Kano that reportedly left 120 dead and a further 270 injured.
The Islamist militant group Boko Haram is suspected of carrying out the attack though so far no one has claimed responsibility.
President Jonathan says his government will take every step to put an end to what he called the
“reprehensible acts of all groups and persons involved in acts of terrorism”.
Security forces say they prevented another attack on worshipers, defusing six bombs at a mosque and nearby market in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri.
Boko Haram militants have been waging a bloody insurgency in Nigeria since 2009. Human Rights groups say they have killed more than 2000 people this year alone.
Attacks on civilians have increased since the Nigerian military launched a counter-offensive last year.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.