Now Reading:

Hong Kong prepares for more clashes as protest camps are cleared

world news

Hong Kong prepares for more clashes as protest camps are cleared


Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protesters have begun to collect their belongings at their main camp ahead of Police warnings that it will be cleared sometime on Thursday.

One camp has already been dismantled following last week’s high court injunction and a third is still being occupied.

Hong Kong police who are on alert made the warning in a press statement:

“Police are prepared and will assist the bailiffs in executing the injunction orders concerning the blockaded roads in Mong kok. Police will take necessary actions against those who obstruct or violently charge the bailiffs who are executing their duties,” said Chief Superintendent Hui Chun-Tak, of Police Public Relations Branch:

The warning follows Wednesday’s violence when a small group of protesters tried to break into parliament. Four people were arrested and three officers were treated in hospital for injuries.

Recently things had been calm. Protester numbers have fallen from tens of thousands when they began in early October, to a few hundred. They are angry at Beijing interference in Hong Kong’s 2017 leadership election.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news