Now Reading:

Suspected Ebola cases mount in Europe as virus fears grow

world news

Suspected Ebola cases mount in Europe as virus fears grow


As Europe gears up to deal with Ebola, more and more possible cases are emerging.

A Briton is suspected to have died from the virus in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia

His hotel in Skopje has been sealed off, isolating a second Briton and staff.

It was unclear, however, whether the man had recently been to West Africa, where Ebola has killed nearly 4,000 people since March in the largest outbreak on record.

A third Ebola patient has arrived in Germany from Africa. The UN employee, infected in Liberia, is being treated in Leipzig in a special isolation unit.

“We received him at 5 o’clock this morning in a special ambulance flight,” a news conference was told by Epidemiologist Dr Thomas Gruenewald of St Georg Hospital in Leipzig.

“We found him to be in a stable but extremely critical condition.”

Elsewhere, a Prague hospital is testing a 56-year-old Czech man with symptoms of the virus, a hospital spokesman said.

And French authorities sealed off a building near Paris after four people inside fell ill but officials said later it was a false alarm.

In Australia health officials in Queensland are testing a 57-year-old nurse who has recently returned from Sierra Leone. She had been a volunteer with the Red Cross in West Africa, treating patients with Ebola and arrived back in Cairns on Tuesday.

Also read:

Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article