Hong Kong’s top leader has told pro-democracy protesters they must clear the city by Monday. CY Leung’s warning follows fears that the worst unrest in decades could turn more violent.
On Friday night before around 20 people were arrested during clashes in one working class suburb.
At least 12 people and six police officers were injured during running brawls.
Police in riot gear tired to keep order as angry residents and pro-Beijing supporters demanded the activists leave.
Many locals are angry at a drop in business during the protests.
Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung went on TV to tell residents that: “The most urgent matter is to restore accessibility to the government headquarters on Monday to allow 3,000 workers to do their jobs in serving the public; also for the roads in Central and Wanchai to be unblocked so all schools can resume classes.”
Hong Kong, a former British colony, is run under a separate system of government than mainland China.
Despite plans for universal suffrage, protests escalated earlier this week over Beijing’s decision to veto candidates for the next leadership election in 2017.
While largely peaceful, student leaders claim triads or organised crime gangs may have infiltrated the ‘Occupy’ sites to incite violence.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.