BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Sixteen hikers still missing after Japanese volcanic eruption


Japan

Sixteen hikers still missing after Japanese volcanic eruption

Authorities in Japan say 16 people are still missing after last week’s volcanic eruption in the centre of the country.

The bodies of 47 hikers have been recovered from Mount Ontake, but bad weather has led to a delay in the search effort.

Rescuers say they hope the recovery of bodies can resume next week.

Ikuo Aoyagi, the disaster coordinator for the Nagano region, told reporters: “Up until now our search for victims has concentrated on retrieving bodies that are visible to the eye. But from now on we will expand our search and also look for victims buried or covered in ash.”

The eruption of Mount Ontake without warning last Saturday is the country’s worst disaster of its type in more than a century.

Hundreds of day-trippers did manage to descend the volcano after the eruption, but dozens more were trapped.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Hong Kong protesters suspend talks with govt after scuffles