BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Hosni Mubarak retrial verdict postponed by Egypt court


Egypt

Hosni Mubarak retrial verdict postponed by Egypt court

An Egyptian court has postponed its verdict in the retrial of Hosni Mubarak until November 29.

The former president is accused of corruption and ordering the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising.

His sons and a former minister are also on trial.

The judge said he and the prosecution team needed more time to review thousands of pages of evidence.

Outside the court at Cairo’s police academy, Egypt’s polarised society was again illustrated as passions again ran high between the former dictator’s supporters and opponents. Two people were arrested as police tried to keep the rival groups apart.

“Mubarak ruled the country safely for 30 years, he fought for Egypt, and the person who fought for Egyptians doesn’t kill Egyptians,” said one woman, a Mubarak supporter.

Those whose relatives died as the Mubarak era crumbled disagree.

The release of some former officials and the ousting of the Muslim Brotherhood have raised fears that the old regime is regaining influence.

One man carried a large poster of his son who was killed during the revolution.

“Mubarak gave the orders and the murderers executed them, they killed our sons. If this boy had been the son of a judge or Mubarak himself, would they be satisfied with this judgement? This is a farce!” he cried.

Afterwards Mubarak, who had arrived in a military helicopter, was wheeled away on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance, before being taken to the Cairo military hospital where he is being held.

The 86-year-old is already serving a three-year sentence for embezzling public funds.

He and his ex interior minister were both sentenced to life imprisonment in 2012 but an appeals court ordered a retrial.

“With today’s postponement, the trial of the century goes on, amid condemnation from victims’ families of the Egyptian judiciary, and its lack of decisiveness over issuing a ruling in this case which has preoccupied public opinion over the past three years,” reported euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim from outside the court.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

North Korean media says leader Kim Jong Un 'in discomfort'