15/09/14 18:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More than 1,000 troops from 15 NATO and non-NATO countries are taking part in a military exercise in Ukraine.
The “Rapid Trident” exercise is happening near Lviv on the Polish-Ukrainian border, around 1,000 miles from the conflict in east Ukraine.
Ukrainian army colonel, Oleksandr Syvak, said: “This year’s military exercise will concentrate on the particular aspects of the undeclared or “hybrid” war, which is happening in the east of Ukraine. This will be be taken into consideration during the military drill. The Ukrainian militaries will also share their experiences gained during the anti-terrorist operation”
Moscow has previously condemned what it calls NATO’s expansion in eastern Europe close to Russia’s borders.
In August, Ukraine’s prime minister said he would ask parliament to put the country on a path towards NATO membership.
At the weekend, the Ukrainian Defence Minister admitted NATO countries had begun arming his nation in the fight against the rebels – something NATO members had previously denied.
Euronews correspondent Mykhaylo Dubyak in Ukraine says: “In the Rapid Trident exercises, NATO and Ukrainian troops will train in how to react to an ambush and convoy operations, amongst other things. It will raise the combat capability of the Ukrainian army and may be used in operations in Donbas”
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 3Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
Migrant rescue from capsized boat is caught on camera
Paris attacks survivor slams Eagles of Death Metal frontman for Muslim conspiracy comments
Iraqi units advance on ISIL-held Fallujah
Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
Wires > News
- 10:25 CET Egypt investigator says French specialist vessel to join black box…
- 10:04 CET New Philippine president to face early test over food security
- 09:57 CET Nigerian civil rights leader confirms attack at Chevron oil…
- 09:48 CET On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- 09:37 CET EU states approve plans to coordinate key mobile spectrum
- 09:35 CET South Korea’s Park facing last chance to push through reforms…
- 09:00 CET French strikers seek to tighten grip on energy supplies
- 08:48 CET Italian marine Girone can head home – India’s top court