Now Reading:

Israel and Hamas trade more blows while Egypt seeks new Gaza ceasefire

world news

Israel and Hamas trade more blows while Egypt seeks new Gaza ceasefire


More than ten people are reported to have been killed in a new wave of Israeli air strikes on the Gaza strip on Monday.

Meanwhile militants in Gaza have kept up their rocket fire on southern Israel.

Reports say two women and a girl were killed when Gazan homes were hit in Beit Lahiya, near the Israeli border. Local residents said a Hamas member lived in one of the dwellings.

In Gaza City an attack on a car killed three men, according to officials. The Ali Bin Abi Taleb Mosque was turned to rubble by the overnight attacks.

Israel has accused Hamas of operating among civilians and using schools and mosques to store weapons and fire rockets.

Gaza residents said Israel warned them via phone messages to leave areas used by militants.

On the Israeli side, the military’s Iron Dome defence system was hard at work on Monday.

Reports said around 100 rockets had been fired into Israel from Gaza by late afternoon.

Hundreds of families along the border have asked for help to evacuate the area; hundreds more already have left to seek shelter elsewhere.

Away from the destruction, Egypt has kept up its efforts to broker a lasting ceasefire.

Its latest proposal calls for the opening of border crossings and talks on easing Israel’s blockade of Gaza.

Hamas has reportedly denied that truce is imminent.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article