Now Reading:

Italian navy struggles with surge in migrant shipwrecks

world news

Italian navy struggles with surge in migrant shipwrecks


The search is continuing off the Libyan coast for any more survivors from a boat that reportedly sank with some 200 people on board.

While 16 people were found alive on Friday, 20 bodies were recovered. Another 170 people are missing.

Improved weather and calm seas have led to a new surge in migrants trying to reach Italy, with Italian coastguards picking up 600 people, 200 of them children, in three separate rescues during the day. The migrants were mostly Syrian, or Palestinian.

Tunisian fishermen saved another 75 in distress on Thursday after they had been drifting for five days at sea. All said they had begun their attempted crossings from Libya. On Wednesday 355 people were picked up by the Italian navy.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article