Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has denied ordering the killing of protesters during the country’s revolution.
Mubarak, speaking for the first time in court, said: “Mohammed Hosni Mubarak who is before you today, did not order at all the killing of protesters or the shedding of the blood of Egyptians.”
The 86-year-old who was overthrown in February 2011 admitted to the court he had made mistakes but said he did his best to fulfill his duties as president.
The proceedings have been adjourned to September 27 when a verdict in the case is expected.
His retrial on charges of conspiracy to kill hundreds of demonstrators is being watched closely. Some believe the former president should not be in court.
“President Hosni Mubarak does not deserve what is happening to him now. We can say he is a first class patriot. We are proud that he left an army that could protect this nation from all its enemies,” said one man.
Some Egyptians, who lived through three decades of autocracy under the now 86-year-old, believe the 2011 uprising marked a new beginning for the country.
“I am against erasing the January 25 revolution. This can never happen in Egypt’s history. It is what opened the door for us to speak to you and for me to tell you my opinion on complete freedom,” explained another man.
In a separate trial earlier this year Hosni Mubarak was sentenced to three years in prison after a court found him guilty of embezzling public funds.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.