07/08/14 19:01 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Kremlin-backed insurgents shot down the wrong plane, according to a Ukrainian security investigation into a downed Malaysian aircraft.
Valentin Nalivaichenko, Ukraine’s Security Service Chief,
said pro-Russian rebels wanted to shoot down an Aeroflot flight as part of a false-flag terrorist operation to justify a Russian invasion of Ukraine.
“That cynical terrorist attack was planned to launch at the same time as that plane was flying over the territory on that very day.” said Nalivaichenko. “And that attack was planned by military criminals as a pretext for further military invasion by the Russian Federation.”
Meanwhile Dutch, Australian and Malaysian investigators prepared to leave Ukraine where they’ve spent weeks trying to collect passenger belongings and human remains from the crash site.
The recovery mission ended because of continued fighting in the rebel-held region.
They observed a moment of silence to remember victims of the tragedy.
Most bodies have been recovered but some victims and their belongings are still missing.
International crash investigators have yet to conduct their own inquiries at the site.
Wires > News
- 22:57 CET Obama expects U.S. to admit 10,000 Syrian refugees this year
- 22:36 CET Scores arrested in violence at French labour law protests
- 22:15 CET Brazil prosecutors charge Rousseff campaign strategist
- 21:25 CET U.S. urges ASEAN unity on South China Sea ruling; warns China on…
- 21:15 CET Biden to meet Kurdish officials in unannounced visit to Erbil
- 20:18 CET Air strikes on Aleppo hospital kill doctors and children
- 19:56 CET Hundreds protest against student’s killing in Khartoum
- 19:49 CET U.S.-backed Syrian fighters battle insurgents north of Aleppo…