Kremlin-backed insurgents shot down the wrong plane, according to a Ukrainian security investigation into a downed Malaysian aircraft.
Valentin Nalivaichenko, Ukraine’s Security Service Chief,
said pro-Russian rebels wanted to shoot down an Aeroflot flight as part of a false-flag terrorist operation to justify a Russian invasion of Ukraine.
“That cynical terrorist attack was planned to launch at the same time as that plane was flying over the territory on that very day.” said Nalivaichenko. “And that attack was planned by military criminals as a pretext for further military invasion by the Russian Federation.”
Meanwhile Dutch, Australian and Malaysian investigators prepared to leave Ukraine where they’ve spent weeks trying to collect passenger belongings and human remains from the crash site.
The recovery mission ended because of continued fighting in the rebel-held region.
They observed a moment of silence to remember victims of the tragedy.
Most bodies have been recovered but some victims and their belongings are still missing.
International crash investigators have yet to conduct their own inquiries at the site.
- 1Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 00:06 CET Ivory Coast must end wave of arrests, abuse ahead of polls -…
- 23:15 CET Israel toughens measures against Palestinians, West Bank youth…
- 23:13 CET NATO denounces Russian incursion into Turkish airspace
- 22:28 CET Libya’s elected parliament extends mandate, complicating peace…
- 21:36 CET U.S. official defends surveillance on eve of EU data ruling
- 21:24 CET Greece’s Tsipras pleads for debt relief with austere budget
- 21:17 CET Pakistan denies man hanged by Taliban was one of its spies
- 21:16 CET Key player in Guatemala corruption scandal turns himself in