Protesters around Kyiv’s Independence Square have clashed with workers cleaning up Maidan, the first serious spring-clean since a revolution saw President Viktor Yanukovytch ousted six months ago.
Many activists set tyres on fire in protest against the city government’s move.
Some former protesters have joined the police service but the square’s tent city remains.
Protester Ivan Bilan said: “Look, at that side – my former activist comrades are now volunteers at Kyiv 1 battalion. The policemen betrayed me, we all used to eat together.”
Many protesters have said they will stay on the square to make sure the new government follows through on its promises of reform.
Sergei, a special forces police battalion officer, said: “We have to clean and clear out this rubbish and only leave those who really fight for political interests.”
Kyiv authorities have been negotiating with the protesters to clear the square since Vitali Klitschko was elected city mayor in May.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…