Now Reading:

More Palestinian deaths in Rafah as Israel continues its offensive against Hamas

world news

More Palestinian deaths in Rafah as Israel continues its offensive against Hamas


At least ten more Palestinians have died overnight in the Gaza town of Rafah as Israeli forces continued their offensive against Hamas militants.

After the deaths come the funerals – several of the victims of Sunday’s strike on a UN-run school have been buried. At least ten people were killed and thirty more wounded.

UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness dismissed Israeli claims that the strike on the school had been aimed at militants:

“There is no evidence whatsoever that there were militants inside the school. There’s no evidence that there were militants inside the school firing rockets. In international law you have to distinguish between combatants and non-combatants. You have to consider proportionality. Is the risk of civilians being killed worth it?”

With nowhere apparently safe, some Gazans are returning to the homes they left when the Israeli military warned them to get out. .
The al-Ghabens lost two family members last week when they were sheltering in another UN school.

Distressed and frightened Dalal al-Ghaben said:

“We didn’t feel at peace or safe at the schools. Our fate and our trust is only in God’s hand. May God avenge them. They take the young and the old, they took my son, who wasn’t even 25-years-old.”

In nearly four weeks of fighting large areas of Gaza have been destroyed and 250,000 people have been displaced.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman suggested on Monday that the United Nations should take control of Gaza, rather than Hamas, once the Israeli military operation is finished. He cited the UN mandates in East Timor and Kosovo as an example. Do you agree with Lieberman’s suggestion?

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article