An outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa is out of control, but the World Health Organisation (WHO) said it can be stopped with more resources and tougher measures.
The WHO has summoned an Emergency Committee between August 6-7 to decide if the outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern and to recommend measures to tackle it.
The worst hit are Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. Nigeria recorded its first Ebola case last week.
Since February, 1,300 people have been affected. More than 700 people have died from the virus, including the doctor leading Sierra Leone’s fight against the outbreak.
Heads of state from the three worst-affected nations met to coordinate a regional response.
Meanwhile a high security hospital ward in the US city of Atlanta prepared to receive one or possibly two American aid workers infected with Ebola while working in West Africa.
Authorities say there is little risk that Ebola could move from Africa to Asia, America or Europe.
There is no known cure for the disease.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.