Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo – the country’s third biggest bank has posted a massive first-half loss of 3.5 billion euros.
It said to be due to the provisions it has made against its exposure to other companies within the parent Espirito Santo Group.
Last week the banks former boss Ricardo Salgado was arrested in connection with a money laundering and tax probe.
The bank’s governor has tried to reassure depositors and investors than BES can withstand any losses.
Portugal’s government has dismissed any possibility of a public bailout.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Business
- 13:08 CET Hikma Pharma shares slip on FDA warning for Portugal plant
- 13:01 CET EU to review figures after UK objects to extra payment – sources
- 12:52 CET European bank stocks outpace market before stress tests
- 11:57 CET Stagnating euro zone seeks to persuade Germany to shift
- 11:42 CET Apple CEO says had ‘very open’ privacy talks in China – Xinhua
- 11:27 CET Accounting watchdog studying Tesco statements
- 11:21 CET New bank TSB gains customers in challenge to big banks
- 11:17 CET Rapid economic growth slows slightly in third quarter