Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo – the country’s third biggest bank has posted a massive first-half loss of 3.5 billion euros.
It said to be due to the provisions it has made against its exposure to other companies within the parent Espirito Santo Group.
Last week the banks former boss Ricardo Salgado was arrested in connection with a money laundering and tax probe.
The bank’s governor has tried to reassure depositors and investors than BES can withstand any losses.
Portugal’s government has dismissed any possibility of a public bailout.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 20Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
Wires > Business
- 16:11 CET Piech stopped Winterkorn becoming VW chairman – media
- 16:09 CET Osborne says many in G20 see need to live within their means
- 15:59 CET Ferrari CEO will not leave post before IPO – Marchionne
- 13:09 CET U.S. Treasury official: G20 sees need to ‘double down’ against…
- 11:57 CET China’s CEFC adds to Czech buying spree with airline, brewery deals
- 11:33 CET Vivendi CEO does not rule out raising stake in Telefonica
- 05:54 CET Japan may exempt food, drinks from sales tax hike – sources
- 02:23 CET EU executive to broadly keep EU’s 2015 growth forecast