Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo – the country’s third biggest bank has posted a massive first-half loss of 3.5 billion euros.
It said to be due to the provisions it has made against its exposure to other companies within the parent Espirito Santo Group.
Last week the banks former boss Ricardo Salgado was arrested in connection with a money laundering and tax probe.
The bank’s governor has tried to reassure depositors and investors than BES can withstand any losses.
Portugal’s government has dismissed any possibility of a public bailout.
- 1Former Greek finance minister confirms there was a secret ‘Grexit’ plan
- 2Golden shot: China shocks the commodities market with reserves revelation
- 3Oil price stability on the horizon as companies cut jobs and costs
- 4Chinese stock meltdown and Windows 10 debut
- 5Microsoft says Windows 10 is a “new era” in personal computing
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Business
- 15:32 CET EU trade negotiators aim for 2016 U.S. trade pact
- 15:21 CET EU and Vietnam reach agreement on free trade
- 15:12 CET Aetna CEO says has begun antitrust work on Humana deal
- 15:01 CET Drugmaker Shire bids $30 billion for Baxter spin-off Baxalta
- 14:44 CET UK takes 1 billion pounds hit in RBS sell-off
- 14:16 CET After failed FT bid Springer to go for pure digital deals
- 14:16 CET Greek market divides as banks sink, other shares rise
- 13:45 CET BMW says worsening Chinese market could hit year’s profit forecast