Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo – the country’s third biggest bank has posted a massive first-half loss of 3.5 billion euros.
It said to be due to the provisions it has made against its exposure to other companies within the parent Espirito Santo Group.
Last week the banks former boss Ricardo Salgado was arrested in connection with a money laundering and tax probe.
The bank’s governor has tried to reassure depositors and investors than BES can withstand any losses.
Portugal’s government has dismissed any possibility of a public bailout.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 18:38 CET OPEC panel reviews oil outlook in a start to talks on oversupply
- 18:31 CET RBS admits to data error in European stress test
- 18:30 CET EU and ECB urge Ireland to continue austerity
- 18:13 CET FTSE marks fifth week of gains on China rate cut
- 18:08 CET ECB says banks to return 8.5 billion euros in crisis loans
- 17:55 CET Walmart workers list locations for planned Black Friday protests
- 17:42 CET FTSE heads for fifth week of gains on China rate cut
- 17:39 CET U.S. under pressure to match EU rules on market benchmarks