Portugal’s Banco Espirito Santo – the country’s third biggest bank has posted a massive first-half loss of 3.5 billion euros.
It said to be due to the provisions it has made against its exposure to other companies within the parent Espirito Santo Group.
Last week the banks former boss Ricardo Salgado was arrested in connection with a money laundering and tax probe.
The bank’s governor has tried to reassure depositors and investors than BES can withstand any losses.
Portugal’s government has dismissed any possibility of a public bailout.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Business
- 02:39 CET BOJ’s Kuroda says Japan financial system remains stable
- 02:19 CET Toshiba shares fall 5 percent on possible new earnings mark-down
- 02:14 CET LG Display to invest up to $803 million for new OLED panel line -…
- 01:33 CET Britain’s banks call on government to phase out industry levy
- 00:39 CET ECB to keep tight funding grip on Greek banks after ‘no’ – sources
- 23:11 CET Euro markets set for major jolt after Greek ‘No’, look to ECB for…
- 16:51 CET Tunisia seeks to block HSBC settlement in Geneva – paper
- 14:44 CET Chinese officials, investors hope new support steps will stave off…