Despite initially rejecting an earlier ceasefire offer Hamas now says it has agreed a new 24-hour truce with Israel in Gaza.
The latest development followed the Israeli army’s renewed military offensive on the coastal enclave earlier on Sunday. That restarted after Hamas militants continued to fire rockets into central and southern Israel.
A Hamas spokesman said the latest move was in response to UN intervention in light of the humanitarian situation of the Gazan people and the Muslim holiday of Eid.
Israel has not yet responded to Hamas’ declaration.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.