21/07/14 12:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Overstretched medical teams in Rafah had a bloody morning treating casualties from Israel’s overnight shelling.
Israeli fighter planes backed by tank fire pounded the town as the violence continues to escalate.
“Suddenly, we started to run after hearing the shelling. I went toward my brother’s house, all his family were dead around the house. They were all killed. Nine or ten people were killed,” said a Palestinian civilian in Rafah.
Khan Younis also came under a nocturnal raid: “There was no warning, they didn’t tell anyone to leave the house. They didn’t tell anyone to leave. 25 people lived in the house, all of them are now dead,” said one man whose neighbourhood was attacked.
Diplomatic attempts by the US, the UN, France, Egypt and Qatar, including calls from the UN Security Council for an immediate ceasefire, have so far fallen of deaf ears.
Live updates on the situation in Gaza and Israel
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 02:16 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 01:56 CET U.S. urges leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid tensions
- 01:51 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 01:44 CET Trump floats idea of using NATO in fight against Islamic State
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes